Monday, November 4, 2013

Teaching English in Hebron

As ICS volunteers we are asked to teach English at the branch office in Hebron.  I have already held some English lessons in our main office, but for Molly teaching English was a completely new experience. From my own knowledge and teaching experience I knew that even if you are fully prepared for the class your students can still ask you a question which you will struggle to answer on the spot.

Going to Hebron that Wednesday was stressful and exciting at the same time. On the one hand we were eager to meet our students, talk about their expectations and agree on the overall structure of the lessons. On the other, we were not fully confident about teaching English. Using it in everyday life, in my understanding, is very different from explaining English grammar. While preparing and trying to teach as a professional, I inevitably remembered my own teachers, people who greatly helped me to be where I am now. I remember all of my language teachers: they all used different teaching methods, I had my favourites and enjoyed classes with some of them much better than others. Despite my preferences back then whenever I speak English today I realise how grateful I am to everyone who has helped me to achieve this - the possibility of expressing myself in a non-native language. Ultimately, today, our expectations are high and we want to be as helpful and as supportive as possible. 

The women who attend our classes are young independent professionals with clear vision for their career and family life. As a part of one the exercises we asked about their reasons for studying English: they replied it is necessary to make it possible to communicate with Israeli soldiers. When in Hebron it is notable that the number of Israeli soldiers exceeds the number of Israeli citizens living in the settlements. Looking at the context I cannot stress out enough the importance of the work Molly and I are doing.  In addition, I am one hundred per cent positive that in no time our determined students will master the English language and their past stressful situations when they could not express themselves will be long forgotten, Inshallah.

2000 year old Olive Trees in Hebron

No comments:

Post a Comment